La Pavoni lever machine – regular maintenance
La Pavoni coffee machines are extremely durable. They have a very good design, but like any machine, you have to maintain it. I had already talked a little about it in this article, when I started with my La Pavoni. Today I will complete my information of the time focusing on the maintenance of the boiler and pistons. It is recommended to perform this maintenance from time to time (approximately every 6 months). This is something that will increase the longevity of your La Pavoni coffee machine.
For the writing of this article, I used my personal experience as well as the video (below, at the end of the article) posted on the Youtube channel of the brand. We will discover how to dismantle the entire machine, how to clean it, and how to remount it.
Table of contents (Table des matières)
- Two 14mm wrenches
- Sunflower (flat and cruciform)
- Grease (food grade) of this type
- La Pavoni coffee machine seals (if there is a need to change them).
- A hook to catch joints
- Descaling tablets
Disassemble a “La Pavoni” machine
- Disconnect the electricity and when the machine is cold, empty the water from the boiler.
- Using two wrenches of 14, unscrew the two nuts above the piston holding the lever.
- Remember to identify the nuts that have been removed to avoid losing or mixing them.
- Remove the two pins holding the lever. If necessary, use a screwdriver.
- Identify pins and put them away so you do not lose them
- Remove the lever and then tilt the machine to the side.
- Using a hook, remove the gasket that surrounds the shower under the piston.
- Remove the shower by pushing on the piston rod.
- Then, remove the piston.
- We will proceed to the maintenance of the piston: with the help of the hook, remove the two seals of the piston. It’s not very easy, do not hesitate to force.
- On the machine, unscrew the two bolts holding the piston body.
- Remove the piston body. Be careful, there is a copper pipe that dips inside the boiler. So do not be too abrupt.
- Unscrew the copper pipe from the piston body.
- Using a special tool, you can unscrew the plastic tip on which the hose is attached. You can also do it by hand, it’s not too tight.
Deep cleaning of a “La Pavoni”
Now that the machine is dismantled, we will be able to proceed with the cleaning. Clean all gaskets, the inside of the piston body with degreaser soap and water. You can help with utensils such as a toothpaste or a rag. Dip the copper pipe in vinegar for 15 to 20 minutes. This goes against tartar.
You can also put some descaling tablets in the boiler. I advise you to do it at this time because it is easier to empty to rinse well when the piston head is disassembled. For more efficiency when descaling, you can light the machine a little to heat the water.
Reassemble a “La Pavoni”
Once the machine is clean, we can start the reassembly. If parts are worn, you can buy news to replace them. For example, you will find a “La Pavoni gaskets set” here. (If you buy them through the link I gave, the site will earn a small commission on the sale).
- Put the seals back on the piston. Attention to the direction of assembly, the widest parts of the joints must be directed towards the outside (as indicated in the picture below). The joints are difficult to put back, do not hesitate to use a screwdriver to help.
- Screw the plastic element that connects the pipe to the piston body.
- Do the same for the copper pipe by screwing it onto the plastic element. Remember to direct the pipe downwards (so that it goes well to the bottom of the boiler tank). It will be easier for insertion.
- We will now grease several items that are moving in the coffee machine.
- Put grease (food grade) on the contour of the plunger and on the outline of its stem. If you do not have one, this type of fat must be used. Same as for the gaskets, if you buy this item through the link I gave, the site will earn a small commission for the sale :).
- Add grease (food grade) to the inside of the piston body as shown in the photos below. This is the same type of grease as for the piston that must be used.
- Once everything is well greased, replace the piston in the piston body. It’s a little complicated, the joints are tight. You can use a screwdriver to help you by forcing a bit.
- With a shank, well guide the openings for the pins.
- Place the correct seal around the shower.
- Insert the shower and gasket into the piston body.
- Use a screwdriver to drive the seal. Personally once it is a little depressed, I place my filter holder thoroughly to put everything in place.
- Put the piston body on the boiler. Be careful not to forget to replace the seal.
- Screw the two bolts correctly.
- Now we will be able to put the lever back. To position the lever, be carful to the direction of the holes.
- Once the lever is placed, put the pins and secure them with the fasteners. Attention, there is a kind of bearing that can guide one of the two pins, do not forget it.
- Then replace the two nuts on the piston rod using the 14mm wrenches.
- Finally, adjust the descent height of the lever. It must be done with the two nuts of the piston rod. If the piston goes too low, it may squeeze the handshower and cause it to fall.
And that’s it, you’ve completed the maintenance of your La Pavoni coffee machine. It is ready again to operate long before a next maintenance operation.
Below is the video from which I shot the images to illustrate this article.
Feel free to comment to ask questions or to say anything :).